With an all-year-round offer for established markets, lemon represents a strategic product in the DE LA TIERRA portfolio.
Citrus products are considered non-climacteric, although they are sensitive to colour change when exposed to ethylene. The introduction of ethylene is commonly deployed for the de-greening of early-season lemon, where full colouration is perceived by consumers to be associated with full ripeness. The optimum time to harvest lemon is when it is fully ripe, based on colouration and Brix levels, although the introduction of ethylene is commonly deployed for the de-greening of early-season lemon, where full colouration is perceived by consumers to be associated with quality. However, this should be carefully managed as overexposure will cause softening and breakdown of flesh.
ZOEPAC modified atmosphere packaging maintains high humidity and prolongs senescence, thus keeping the product fresher and firmer for longer. Excessive moisture loss results in shrivelled fruit with dry, leathery peel.
Benefits provided by ZOEPAC modified atmosphere packaging for lemon include:
- Extended shelf-life, allowing for longer storage and distribution channels
- Reduced dehydration, preventing weight loss, shrivelling and dry peel,
- Maintained freshness and firmness,
- Inhibition of storage mould and rots, and
- Higher profitability due to reduced wastage in the supply chain.
Please get in touch to discuss varietal and packaging options.