Cherry, unlike all other stonefruit, is non-climacteric. It does not ripen after harvest. The optimum time to harvest cherry is, therefore, at optimum ripeness; firm to the touch with full colouration. Due to its low thermal mass, cherry is very perishable if not cooled and packed immediately.
ZOEPAC modified atmosphere packaging maintains high humidity and prolongs senescence, thus keeping the product fresher and firmer for longer. Fresh, green pedicels (stems) are also critical for maximum retail value.
Benefits provided by ZOEPAC modified atmosphere packaging for cherry include:
- Extended shelf-life, allowing for longer distribution and storage channels,
- Reduced dehydration, preventing weight loss and stem discolouration,
- Inhibition of pitting and discoloured flesh,
- Preservation of colour,
- Prolonging senescence,
- Maintained freshness and firmness,
- Inhibition of storage mould and rots, and
- Higher profitability due to reduced wastage in the supply chain.
Please get in touch to discuss varietal and packaging options.