Avocado is a unique fruit; it cannot ripen on the tree. The crop is harvested at full green maturity. There are several indicators, which influence the quality of ripe avocado once ripe. Dry matter percentage highly correlates with oil content and is used as a maturity index in most avocado production areas. Dry matter is typically in the range of 19 – 25%, depending on the variety. It is important to avoid exposure to low temperatures during transit, as avocado is susceptible to chilling injury.
Furthermore, as natural ethylene production is triggered, it is important that an optimised atmospheric regime is established, where ethylene levels are reduced, and carbon dioxide levels are controlled. Although unripe avocado produces low rates of ethylene, it is very sensitive to its presence. Any build-up must be avoided in storage and transit.
ZOEPAC offers a product that not only extends the green life by prolonging the ripening process, but the design of the packaging is permeable enough to facilitate transportation in controlled atmosphere containers and ripening without the need to remove the green avocado from its packaging. Furthermore, once ripened, the control of ethylene and carbon dioxide is also important to delay the onset of senescence.
ZOEPAC modified atmosphere packaging for avocado serves this dual function.
Benefits provided by ZOEPAC modified atmosphere packaging for avocado include:
- Extended green shelf-life, allowing for longer distribution and storage channels,
- Reduced chilling injury,
- Reduced handling costs, green avocado can be ripened in the sealed bag,
- Extended ripe shelf-life, resulting in lower wastage levels,
- Inhibition of physiological disorders, especially flesh greying and brown spotting,
- Maintained freshness and firmness,
- Inhibition of storage mould and rots, and
- Higher profitability due to reduced wastage in the supply chain.
Please get in touch to discuss varietal and packaging options.